Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sunday morning coming down!

Sorry I couldn't resist the title, Sunday started off with breakfast at this breakfast place that the conciere recommended as new New Orleans, sort of a modern kind of young peoples place. He must have been thinking of Catie when recommending this place. They had things like yogurt, and croissants with eggs and that sort of thing. I think Catie got some sort of waffles and they were good. It was OK but just OK. You went to the counter and placed your order then seated yourself and got a number and they brought the food to the table. The decor was very modern and all white with some cool artwork. The food was delivered quickly and it was fine but no comparison to the Ruby Slipper.

I think we went to the aquarium and when we got out the sun was shining and off we went to have lunch at the Gumbo Shop. It was very good! My son Michael recommended it and seconded by my wife Jane. The people were very nice. I got the gumbo as an appetizer and the shrimp creole as the entree. Both were good. My gumbo is better by far. When we discussed this with the waitress she was so diplomatic! I told her I was a gumbo connoisseur and that although their gumbo was very good it just wouldn't hold up against mine. She smiled and said that homemade gumbo is always better. They make gumbo in 200 gallon batches! Catie had crawfish étouffée and it was good too. I think I liked it better than the shrimp creole. That evening we decided to try Paul Prudhomme's. I was put off the minute I went in and discovered you had to stand in line to order then stand in line again to pick up your food, while we were standing in line to order someone got our table! That was enough for Catie and I, and we left before ordering! We wondered back up to the square and decided to try our luck at the French Market Restaurant. We had a drink while we waited at the bar and then sat outside on the balcony that had a nice view of the French Market. it was a nice evening. I had barbecued shrimp and they were very good. Rich but very good! I don't recall what Catie had but she really liked my shrimp better. Barbecued shrimp are not cooked on a grill but in a sauce that is seafood stock, lots of butter, hot peppers, and spices. Served with french bread to sop with. The shrimp are jumbo with heads on. Very good but very messy; they bring plenty of paper napkins and a towelette. Don't wear your white shirt! This is casual dining.

No comments:

Post a Comment