Tuesday, June 4, 2013

New Orleans Trip

As some of you may know Catie and I took a trip to the Big Easy last month. It was an eating extravaganza! It was our intent to go to New Orleans and just enjoy the food, we didn't have any special plans other than reservations at Commander's Palace and plans to visit the Audubon Aquarium.

I guess the simplest way to do this is to just go in more or less chronological order. Our flights went without a hitch and we arrived in NOLA and our Hotel about 1:30 in the afternoon. A bit early for our 3:00 PM check in. We stayed at the JW Marriott. I must take a minute to say that customer service is alive and well in New Orleans. I have never been anywhere that people at restaurants, hotels and airports were quite as helpful as in New Orleans. We inquired at the hotel check in desk to see if they would store our bags while we went and got a late lunch. They said that they could do better than that if our room was ready we could just go on up early and get settled in if we liked. Our room was ready so we were able to get settled in and then off to Dene's for lunch. We asked at the front desk if there were any good places close by and they recommended Dene's. It was a big place with a family atmosphere. The food while good was not outstanding. I got the stuffed shrimp, which was a set up for disappointment. As a child my parents used to take us to a place in Galveston called the Golden Greek. They had the best fried stuffed shrimp ever. Alas they have been gone for years now. Catie got the crawfish, fried and étouffée I believe, hers was better than mine. If I go back again I am just going to get the fried fish. Some people at the next table who looked like locals had the fish and it looked good!

We wondered around the french Quarter for the rest of the afternoon. It was rainy and not too crowed for a Friday afternoon. We thought we would try to see if we could get into Irene's. I had tried three weeks earlier to get reservations for Friday evening, they just laughed! Well it turns out that Irene's only allots 30% of their seating for reservations, preferring to have 70% of their tables for walk ins. Go figure. We had been told that if you get there about 5:00 PM and hang around the front door you can get in at 5:30 when they open and as long as you are seated in that first service you are set. Otherwise you may end up standing around for a couple of hours. This rainy evening there were only two couples waiting at 5:30. Catie and I were one of them so we got right in. We had a fried soft shell crab for an appetizer and it was delicious. Catie had the Duck and she said it was possibly the best fowl she had ever eaten. I had the gnocchi, topped with grilled black drum. Big mistake, first of all I have never been fond of gnocchi, but I thought I just won't eat the gnocchi and I will enjoy the nice fish. The gnocchi at Irene's is still gnocchi and it set on your stomach like you swallowed a roll of quarters! Unfortunately the fish was so overcooked it was like fish jerky. I should have complained but I just hated to after ordering the gnocchi, I sort of deserved to go hungry. I was surprised at the fish jerky but it was not good. I would give Irene's another try, it simply has to be better than what I got, and I tried Catie's duck and it was delicious. So a lesson to be learned is this; while you go to NOLA thinking seafood, don't be afraid to try other things if they sound good!

After we walked off the dinner, which didn't take long for me we went to Cafe Du Monde for coffee and beignets. It was good, the chicory coffee was good with the beignets. I understand there are better places for beignets but you just can't go to New Orleans and not try Cafe Du Monde. It's convenient that they are open 24 hours.

The next morning we were up early and asked at the desk where a good place to eat breakfast that was nearby. They sent us to the Ruby Slipper. Catie and I both had the Eggs Sardou. Wow! This dish was originally invented by Antoine's, the oldest restaurant in New Orleans open since 1854 I believe. They also invented Oysters Rockefeller. Eggs Sardou Ruby Slipper style is two poached eggs, on top of French Bread, lightly sautéed fresh spinach, tasso, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, topped with Bearnaise sauce. It was good i made it at home for Jane and mine tasted just like the Ruby Slipper although I used Hollandaise sauce like the original and it didn't come out too well. It tasted fine it just didn't come out as smooth as I would have liked. Not Bad at all!
 Lunch, I can't remember the name of place we went for lunch. We just walked in and it was sort of a new generation new Orleans place. We ate out on the patio since the rain was clearing ad it was nice outside. We had Braised Beef Cheeks. It was on a bed of mashed potatoes and topped with a dollop of black eyed peas. It was like a very tender rich pot roast, it was very good.

I am going to leave off here for now, and I will continue with our Commander's Palace adventure. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment